John Morthland is the Senior and Managing attorney of the firm of Wasinger Parham, LLC in Hannibal, Missouri, where he has been engaged in civil practice and litigation since 1977. He received his law degree from Loyola University of the South Law School and has a B.S. in Business Administration from the University of Missouri in Columbia.
As part of a firm that handles both plaintiff’s and defense practices, he has first chaired more than 65 jury trials, including medical malpractice, legal malpractice, insurance defense, plaintiff’s personal injury, will contests, condemnation and civil rights litigation matters. He has also argued numerous cases in front of the Missouri Court of Appeals, Missouri Supreme Court, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eight Circuit. He has served as an arbitrator on several matters including on a 3 panel personal injury matter involving the Missouri Department of Transportation.
Mr. Morthland is a member of the International Association of Defense Counsel, and a board member of the Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers. He received the Lon O. Hocker Memorial Trial Lawyer Award from the Missouri Bar in 1985 and was recently honored with the Ben Ely Outstanding Defense Lawyer Award from the Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers. In 2009 Mr. Morthland was admitted as a fellow of the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers.
• Missouri Bar Association, 39 years
• Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers, 30 years
• International Association of Defense Control, 34 years
B.A. Science in Business Administration, University of Missouri, 1973
J.D., Loyola University, 1976
• U.S. District Court Eastern District
• U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
• U.S. Court of Claims
• U.S. Supreme Court
• American College of Trial Lawyers
• Lon O. Hocker Memorial Trial Lawyer Award, Missouri Bar, 1985
• Ben Ely Outstanding Defense Lawyer Award, Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers, 2013
Appointment Request form directly to our scheduling staff.